It's where I plan to focus much of my writing time and energy. It's where the stories in my head naturally lead. It's the type of writing I'm good at, and that I enjoy writing.
You may not think it's a big deal to stand up and say I write erotica, but you'd be surprised at some of the reactions. Sometimes I think people want to ask me why I write erotica (as if the answer would be anything different than one they'd get from someone who writes in another genre). Sometimes I get the feeling they want to ask how I got into something like that, like I've just admitted to a shoplifting addiction or secret life as a porn star or something else considered equally deviant. I'm sure when I tell some people I write erotica it conjures images of all the really bad sex writing out there, which is NOT what I write. It elicits giggles and blushes as much as blank stares and brows furrowed in confusion.
I want to let you in on a little secret. Lean a little closer so I can whisper it... A little closer...
PEOPLE HAVE SEX!
Sshhh! Don't go spreading that around now, y'hear?
Seriously, though. People have sex. It's been known to happen. A lot of what's communicated - or not communicated - during sex is emotionally loaded, rich with meaning. People relate to each other through sex. People create and resolve issues with sex. They learn about themselves and each other. And aside from all that, sex is just plain sexy and fun, and there's absolutely nothing writing with reading or writing about it!
So I'm putting it out there for any reader, agent, publisher, editor, etc. who might want to take notice: I write erotica, and if I may say so, I'm pretty decent at it.
I'm an erotica writer, and here is my manifesto:
- I will not use ridiculous euphemisms for body parts or actions unless I intend them to be ridiculous.
- I will portray realistic bodies and body images without being condescending, patronizing, insulting, sexist, or demeaning.
- I will write characters who are realistic and easy to relate to. I will write characters you care about, who will stick with you after their stories have ended.
- I will write sex scenes that arouse and excite.
- I will write sex scenes that are thought-provoking and touching.
- I will make the sexually explicit scenes relevant to the story. Even in erotica, I believe gratuitous sex is unnecessary and boring.
- I will not write trash.
- I will portray realistic sexual actions - including, but not limited to, mutual and solo masturbation, oral sex and all the hang-ups that may come with it, sexual dysfunctions, safer sex practices, birth control, sex aids, and much, much more. Furthermore, I will handle these issues with humor, tenderness, valid medical/scientific research when necessary, honesty, and passion.