08 December 2008

The Good, The Bad, and The Who Cares??

I can't seem to get above a once-a-month frequency in my posts lately. :-)  But here I am again.  Let's start with

The Bad - Cancer and Bankruptcy!

Yes, cancer.  Not me, thank goodness, but in my family.  Found out the Sunday before Thanksgiving, and it's been a tough couple weeks since then.  Literally the day after this diagnosis, I found out the company I work for had filed for bankruptcy.  Jobless by New Year's!  Fabulous.

The Good - Luck and Writing!

I caught a lucky break and just happened to be in the store last week when another store manager came by saying she needed to hire an Assistant.  I filled out the application and handed her my resume that afternoon, interviewed that evening, and again two days later with the District Manager.  Now I'm just waiting on all the background and reference checks and hopefully I'll have an offer this week!

Also, although I haven't been writing much the past two weeks, I HAVE started my erotica novel!  I've got a couple chapters down, a basic plot (which is what I was struggling with to begin with) and I'm having tons of fun with it.  To Call Home is still at a bit of a stalemate on Authonomy (ranked 169) but I haven't been plugging it much.  However, I've reached the #7 Talent Spotter ranking!  It's pretty cool.  Hopefully if I can crack the top 5 in that and get my face on the homepage, then I'll get a few more readers.

The Who Cares?? - Naysayers!

Continuing with the topic of writing, Nathan Bransford blogged about Authonomy!  I'm not saying 'who cares' to Nathan and his blog, of course!  I don't get to it terribly often, but I really enjoy his blog.  The 'who cares' is for some of the ridiculous commenters on that post.  People who've never even used Authonomy bashing it, people bashing it because they didn't have the success they seemed to think they deserved, or because they weren't comfortable with the "game" aspect of it.  Of course it's big on shameless self-promotion, but isn't querying the same thing?  By simply sending your query to agents, aren't you essentially saying "read me! publish me!  i'm fabulous!" ?  Authonomy is no different.  The comments on Nathan's blog were mixed good and bad - a few of us Authonomites managed to get in some good words.  But overall.... if you don't like it, that's fine.  No reason to call the rest of us who DO spend time there silly, and our writing trash.  Just hush and get on with your life and we'll do the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say?